Sprinkle Dyeing with Kool-Aid
You Will Need:
- Microwaveable glass casserole dish
- 100 gram skein of wool or a mix with other animal fibres
- 4 packages of non-sweetened Kool-Aid or store brand drink mix (try different colours)
- Warm water
- Liquid dish soap (unscented is best, but not necessary)
- Saturate the wool in water mix with a few drops of the liquid dish soap for 1 to 2 hours.
- Squeeze the wool to make sure it has absorbed the water.
- Pour off most of the excess water - let the wool sit in a small pool of water.
- Sprinkle powders randomly onto the wool, turning it over to the other side.
- "Cook" in the Microwave for 2 minutes on high, and then let stand to "cool" for 5 minutes.
- Repeat alternating "cooking" time and "cooling" time until water is clear. Wool and dish will be very hot. Handle carefully when removing from microwave.
- Have the sink filled with warm water and pour contents of dish into sink water.
- When thoroughly rinsed, squeeze out excess water and place into a washing machine and spin to dry. Alternately, roll up in towels and step on it to remove the water.
- Hang to dry.
Click here to purchase dyes and dyeing supplies.